We use garden hoses in our homes for a variety of reasons; from watering plants and lawns, to washing the car, filling pools, cleaning ours pets, and so on.
Basically, a garden hose is an important piece of equipment that helps meet our outdoor water needs.
In this guide, we’ll take a look at some of the best and top reviewed garden hoses currently available in the market.
We do not seek to support or promote any particular brand; ours is just an honest review based on our own experience and that of other customers who have used the hoses.
Ours is to give you an unbiased review complete with pros and cons, as well as a guide to aid you when buying your next garden hose.
Our #1 Recommendation: Best Overall
Mooncity expandable garden hose
The Mooncity Expandable Garden Hose is one of the most popular brands, and for a good reason. It measures 50ft long, is made of double-layered natural latex at its core. A reinforced and elastic fabric is used to cover the plastic hose; the fabric is often available in green colour. The connector is made of brass, which makes it both durable and rust resistant. You’ll also like the fact that this garden hose is lightweight and flexible.
Flexibility comes in very handy when you have to hose a wide area of your lawn, or direct the hose to higher grounds. Think of hosing the gutter area while standing on a ladder. During purchase, the hose also comes with an a9-setting sprayer. The Mooncity Expandable Garden Hose is one of the few hoses in the market that come with a lifetime Warranty. This should tell you that the manufacturer has total confidence in their brand. confidence in their brand. Besides, you’re always granted a money back guarantee valid for 90 days after purchase
Our #2 Recommendation
Lovel flexible garden hose
The inner tube is made of 100% natural latex; this means it can extend up to three times its length from 17ft to 50 ft. The aluminium coated couplings are rust resistant; they also prevent water from leaking after the hose has been shut off. The hose is available in black and red colors and the nozzle spray can be adjusted to 9 different settings. It is compact and self-draining after use; it shrinks back to its normal size after self-draining. The hose is light and easy to carry around; it also comes with a 12 month warranty period
More Great Buys
The Water Right 400 Series is available in colours such as cranberry, olive green, espresso, and eggplant. The hose uses certified polyurethane, is 100% lead free. This hose is a workhorse designed to serve you for many years without any leaks or damage. It can survive all weather conditions, both hot and freezing. Couplings are made of stainless steel or brass; means less leakages and no rust. The hose is 50ft long when expanded. It comes with a two-year warranty.
The Briggs And Stratton Premium Heavy-Duty Rubber Garden Hose is crush-proof, thanks to the heavy duty couplings. The couplings are rust free and very resistant to wear and tear. It is made of heavy-duty rubber and can extend up to 50ft.
The couplings are designed to resist corrosion or any wear that may occur. You can use the hose with both hot and cold water. The hose does not kink or coil regardless of the weather. The hose comes with a lifetime warranty and is ideal for commercial, recreational or residential use.
The XpandaHose is a high-quality hose made of 100% latex; it can extend from 25ft to 75ft. It shrinks back to the original size after use and the water is drained. It is often available in color black.
The couplings are made of high quality brass; they have no marks or flash even after years of use. The garden hose comes with a two-year warranty. The hose also comes with a bag for storage after use. The nozzle spray comes with ten different settings.
The hose has crushproof plated fittings. It also has heavy duty rubber that does not crack or tear easily. It’s 50ft long and is designed with grip technology; makes it very easy and convenient to handle when working. The hose is all rounded; ideal for domestic use (watering lawns, cleaning your car) or industrial scale use (industrial cleanups). The nozzle spray has nine settings.
The joint connecting the hose and the fitting is made similarly to hydraulic hoses; strong and durable. You can use the hose with hot water as well as cold water. The hose is available in red, yellow, blue, orange, green and berry; it also comes with a lifetime guarantee.
This garden hose expands up to three times its original length from 33ft to 100ft. The length makes it ideal for diverse tasks as one can even use it in the driveway. The hose, made of double latex, can also withstand high and low-temperature water. Brass coated connectors, the hose releases water pressure between 3 and 12 bars. The hose comes with a bag for storage after use.
The hose should not be stored under direct sunlight. It also comes with 12-month warranty. The spray nozzle is made of a durable zinc alloy, offers 8 different settings to the user.
HDW Anteko expandable garden hose by HDW
This 50ft garden hose has a high fiber coating and latex inner tubing; this greatly prevents leaking. Can withstand low/freezing temperatures plus the hose nozzle has 9 different settings.
The fittings are made of brass (which is stronger than those made of plastic). Fittings have an in-built shut off mechanism; this saves you on time/energy to and from the faucet.
The hose comes with a clamp and a storage bag. It’s one of the few garden hoses that give you a 90 day money back guarantee. It also comes with a 12 months warranty.
The Hospaip Expandable Garden Hose Is 50ft long and has brass connectors, double latex inner tubing, and a zinc spray nozzle. Outer cover is made of a thick but flexible polyester fabric. The hose offers lots of flexibility. It has a water pressure output of between three and twelve bars.
Can withstand extreme heat and cold, this is an all weather garden hose. You have eight different patterns from the hose nozzle. The hose comes with a sturdy, water-proof storage bag.
The Flexi hose is light, flexible and easy to manoeuvre. It has a reinforced double latex piping and brass coated connectors. Nozzle offers you 8 patterns to pick from. Each pattern offers you a different experience in terms of water pressure and intensity.
The Flexi Hose Upgraded can extend up to 50ft doesn’t kink. As an assurance of quality, the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty. If you want an budget garden hose for domestic purposes, then this would be a great pick
Garden Hose Buying Guide
You may forget about the specs and brand names, but always have these tips in mind when buying a garden hose
In the animal world, we say that the more beautiful a snake looks, the more poisonous it is. In the world of garden hoses, the fancier the hose appears, the more useless it is.
Sorry, that may sound a bit harsh. But you want a hose that won’t start leaking and developing leaks and kinks after a few weeks of use, right?
Always ask the dealer these questions;
- Can the hose withstand direct sunlight and freezing conditions for long hours?
- Does the manufacturer offer warranty (warranties mean the manufacturer has confidence in their product
Your garden hose durability will also depend on how well you take care of it.
2. Garden Hose Warranty
- The warranty means a lot when you’re buying a garden hose.
- It is often the manufacturer’s way of telling you that they have confidence/ or not with their brand.
- If the manufacturer is silent on the warranty of their product, you should be very concerned.
- Most garden hoses have a warranty of anything from 12 months to 2 years. A few reputable brands offer a lifetime warranty.
It is a waste of money to buy multiple garden hoses to perform different functions or spray water in different settings.
- Advancements in technology make it possible for nozzles to have different spray settings/patterns.
- These spray settings vary in water pressure and the manner in which the water is sprayed out.
- You can use the same hose to water your lawn, wash your car, hose your carpet, douse your pet, and so much more
- An on and off valve also eliminates the need to walk to and from the faucet to turn the water on and off.
4. Resists kink
A lot of garden hoses are advertised as kink or fold free. But like many buyers quickly find out, this is not always the case.
- Garden Hoses made of high quality materials have fewer kinks and folds.
- Inevitably, they tend to be costlier than those made of lower quality materials.
- Acquaint yourself with customer’s reviews on sites like Amazon; users are forthcoming about hoses that resist kink and those that are easy to untangle when it happens.
It’s always better to have a long garden hose than a short one. And again, inevitably, the longer a garden hose is the more you’re likely to pay for it.
- Purchase a garden hose based on the tasks you want to perform but while at it, always try to think on the higher end.
6. Materials used
- The best material for a garden hose is latex rubber; it’s tough, can expand with ease.
- Unlike rubber, most materials get affected by extreme heat and cold weather variations
- However, if you are on a low budget (rubber the most expensive), then vinyl made garden hoses come second.
- Couplings are used to attach nozzles; they should be rust and leak resistant.
- Metal couplings are more expensive than plastic ones but are more durable, rust resistant, and leak resistant.
7. Water drinking safety
Generally speaking, it is not very safe to drink water from garden hoses.
- Inner tubing of some hoses made of PVC contains phthalates that are used as plasticizers.
- However, manufacturers have greatly improved over the years and nowadays some garden hoses are 100% made of safe materials.
- Find out whether the hose you’re buying is approved and certified as safe for use with drinking water.
Like with all products, cheap can be expensive.
- The cost is often determined by the materials used to make the garden hose.
- High quality latex and metal connectors are costlier than plastic or vinyl
- So you have to balance between keeping your budget and going for a genuine product that offers you value for your money.
With these 7 tips, you are always assured of making an informed decision when purchasing a garden hose.