Choosing the best water filter for clean pure water is our task to serve you. Water filtration is becoming more and more a very important task. Even though most tap water is clean enough to drink some have become contaminated over time due to aging equipment and financial strains.
There are several types of water purification. Picking the right one for you will depend on your current water purity coming out of your tap and your family’s need. Getting water filtration in your home can save you money on bottled water and improve the taste of your tap water as well as improve your health.
How Do You Know If The Water is Clean Enough?
You can get a report on the water quality in your state/town that is available on the website of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This will give you the facts about your water quality.
Some people have wells and should test the quality of the water. There are a few ways to test the water in your house to see if it is safe and determine what kind of water filtration that is needed.
Take a look. Check the water in a clear glass for particles floating and landing on the bottom of your glass. If the water is cloudy or anything but clear, you will want a water filter. Do you like the taste of your water? If not, it is time to filter. If the water has an unusual taste or odor it could be due to contaminants such as chloramine, iron, or sulfur, or one or more dangerous chemicals.
There is a test you can purchase to test your own water quality. Amazon has this available, home water quality test kit. These kits are easy to use and contain test strips that change colors when exposing the contaminants in your water. You will then know whether your water is contaminated and to what degree.
We researched the many products available to give you the best filtration system for you.
REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEMS filters impurities and contaminants from tap water. You install them under your kitchen sink and install a separate dedicated faucet. Reverse Osmosis is the best filtering system to remove chemicals and contaminants. They are a cost-effective way to reduce bottled water use and eliminate the wait time for water to go through filtration pitchers.
We did the needed research to evaluate the features and benefits of the different models available to give you the best choice of a reverse osmosis filtration system for your home.
Best 5 Water Filtration System in 2020
Home Master TMAFC Artesian Full Contact Undersink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
Our research has determined that the Home Master TMAFC Artesian Full Contact Undersink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System is the best pick for the home water filtration. This system has multiple stages of filtration, it is best to give you pure filtered water.
This system is designed to prevent the build-up of debris on the housing units for the filter. By replacing the filters annually the system will continue to give you the purest water without expensive replacements and clean up. This product has solved a problem most people experience with these types of filters, slow flow. The system uses large fittings and a wider tube to allow a continuous consistent flow of purified water.
It has an all-in-one housing and filter that makes it easy to work on. The filters are easy on and off with a push and turn in place that has a seal that is leak-free.
This system has great reviews and is highly recommended by customers who are using the product.
Home Master TMAFC Artesian Full Contact Undersink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System Key Features:
- Money-back guarantee
- Removes 98% of chemicals
- Exceptional Purification – removes up to 98-percent of chemicals, heavy metals, sediment, and other contaminants then adds good minerals
- Filter element and the filter housing are all-in-ones modular assembly for quick and easy annual changes – No wrenches necessary
- Long-lasting and easy change filters – change only once a year or every 2000 gallons; no wrenches required
- Included Fast Flow RO Kit – Double the flow from your faucet fills your cup twice as fast as standard RO systems
2nd Best Recommendation: iSpring 6-Stage Under Sink Reverse Osmosis
The iSpring 6-Stage Under Sink Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System is easy to install for any homeowner. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. The system has lead proof fixtures and an early warning alarm when a leak is detected as another safeguard.
This 6-stage filtration provides 6 different filters with each one serving a different filtering purpose. As a result you will have pure clean water for years to come. Each year you will need to replace these filters. The reverse osmosis filter can last up to 3 years before it needs to be replaced.
There are nearly 2,000 customer reviews on Amazon for this water filtration system and it has an overall rating of 4.7. That’s certainly enough to build our confidence in the product.
Other features on the iSpring 6-Stage Under Sink Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System are;
- Only technology to remove up to 99% of contaminants including arsenic, chlorine, lead, fluoride, heavy metals, bacteria, virus and 1000+ contaminants. System Capacity- 50 gallons per day @ 60 psi, 30 gallons/day @50 psi and 77 deg F.Tank Capacity-4 gallons. Feed Water pH- 2.0 -11.0. Max Total Dissolved Solids- 2000 ppm. Feed Water Pressure 40-85 psi.
- Premium long-lasting filters used to treat tap water, well water. Provide unlimited clean, refreshing crisp tasting water superior to bottled water.
- The system comes with 100% lead-free designer faucet, plus FDA Certified JG Food grade tubing and parts to provide safe, contamination-free pure water. Pipe Size:1/4 inches
- 2 year extended manufacturer warranty with registration. The system comes with all parts and industry’s best instructions and videos for an easy DIY experience.
Best Economical Pick – Filtrete Maximum Under Sink Water Filtration System
This low-cost water filtration system is excellent and has many excellent features. The Filtrete Maximum Under Sink Water Filtration System is easy to install and mounts to the back wall. This will filter all you cold water through your current faucet and will provide 1500 gallons of water before it needs to be replaced. Replacement filters are available through Amazon.
This cost of this filtration system will run you under $40 and the filter replacements around $25.
Filtrete Maximum Under Sink Water Filtration System Key Features:
- 3 filters choices available for different levels of filtration
- 6 months use before replacing the filter
- Maximum level filtration reduces 99% lead, 99% microbial cysts, 97% chlorine taste & odor, 0.5 microns of sand, sediment, rust & soil
- Installs in less than 30 minutes and offers 6-month filter life
- Provides high water flow rates at 1.5 gallons per minute
- Maximum, advanced and standard replacement filters are interchangeable with system
Best Pitcher Water Filter – Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
Make sure you’re getting the best tasting water with the Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher. The Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher filters your water to improve the taste and purify your drinking water. The advantage of pitcher water filters is that you’ll be able to store the water in the refrigerator so the water will be ice cold rather than room temperature.
Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher Key Features:
- Lifetime guarantee
- LARGE WATER PITCHER: This large, clear plastic pitcher is easy to pour and refill. Great for families. Height 10.47; Width 5.59; Length/Depth 10.94; Weight 2.29 pounds
- CLEANER AND GREAT TASTING: The BPA free Brita filter reduces chlorine taste and odor, copper, mercury, and cadmium impurities found in tap water. *Substances reduced may not be in all users’ water.
- FILTER INDICATOR: For optimum performance, a helpful status indicator notifies you when your water filter needs to be replaced.
- REDUCE WASTE: One Brita water filter can replace 300 standards 16.9-ounce water bottles.
- REPLACEMENTS: Change Brita filters every 40 gallons, about 2 months for the average household for optimal performance.
- Meets or exceeds NSF Standards 42 and 53 for contaminant reduction
Who Should Buy a Water Filtration System
Those whose water is contaminated or has undesirable particles or chemicals. If your water contains lead, chlorine or fluoride, you will want to have your water filtered. Lead is the only dangerous one. It will affect your thinking. Fluoride is added to the water supply as a means of preventing tooth decay. Fluoride binds to the enamel of your teeth, making it more resistant to bacteria. Essentially, it’s intended to be a shield to
reduce cavities and oral health problems. Chlorine is a highly efficient disinfectant, and it is added to public water supplies to kill disease-causing bacteria that the water or its transport pipes might contain.
The long term effects of chlorinated drinking water have just recently being recognized. According to the U.S. Council Of Environmental Quality, “Cancer risk among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine.” The Hidden Danger of Chlorinated Drinking Water
Is flouride bad for you? You can read the article in the link provided.
Purified water is recommended for those who have skin and stomach sensitivities or an autoimmune disease., a filtration system will definitely be an investment you’ll need to make. Eczema or psoriasis can become irritated by unfiltered water.
Is a water filter effective that is in our refrigerators? Yes, some are effective filters but some are not.
If your water is well water or has a smell to it, you should use a water filtration system. Simple taste is another reason to filter your water. If it does not taste good you will want to filter it. A bad tasting drinking water indicates is could have chemicals you will want to avoid. Also, drinking water is good for you. You won’t drink as much water as you should if it does not taste good.
Important Facts to Consider
You should consider the following when purchasing a water filtration system:
- A physical filtration system will filter out sediment and particles. The filter will eventually get full and clogged, so it will need to be replaced. Replacing it on a regular schedule will be most effective.
- An active filtration system is designed to remove minerals, or will apply carbon is to the water to eliminate chemicals. Carbon will effectively filter almost all chemicals from your water supply.
- Reverse osmosis filters use physical filtration as the first stage to remove any sediment from the water. Then the water goes through a semipermeable membrane to separate water from pollutants. The negative is that reverse osmosis removes the beneficial minerals in the water as well. After all, is said and done, the water you’ll be using will have had 92-99% of the beneficial minerals removed, as well, so keep that in mind.
- Ion exchange is the process used to soften your water and it also removes the minerals. They are molecules with a positive or negative charge. The Ions will exchange unwanted ions with other, more desirable ions with the same charge. This process is good for getting rid of the chemicals it does not remove the bacteria.
- What about a whole house filter. Whole-house filters are installed at the source of your home’s water. They usually are simply physical filters. They are very helpful in keeping your water heater and appliances that use water in better shape. The filter will have all your household water pass through it before it goes to any faucet or appliance. The filters we have been talking about so far are drinking water filters or an independent system. These independent systems are designed to go under your sink and only effect the water there. If your water has a lot of sediment you will need a whole house system. If you want healthy
drinking and cooking water, you can use an independent filtration system.
- Filtering Pitchers are ideal for filtering a limited amount of water that you want to taste better and to eliminate sediment and chemicals from your drinking water. They do get a bit annoying if you drink a great deal of water or have a large family.