Table Of Contents
- 1 Our #1 Recommendation: Best Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener Overall
- 2 All American Sharpener 5000 for Mulching and Standard Mower Blades with M8x1.25 Pin Thread
- 3 Our #2 Recommendation
- 4 AccuSharp 006C GardenSharp Tool Sharpener
- 5 Pros
- 6 Cons
- 7 More Great Buys
- 8 American Lawn Mower Company SK-1 Sharpening Kit
- 9 Pros
- 10 Cons
- 11 Yellow Hornet Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener
- 12 Pros
- 13 Cons
- 14 MAG-9000 Professional Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener
- 15 Pros
- 16 Cons
- 17 Corona AC8300 Sharpening Tool
- 18 Pros
- 19 Cons
- 20 SHARPAL 103N All-in-1
- 21 Pros
- 22 Cons
- 23 MAG-8000 Universal Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener
- 24 Pros
- 25 Cons
- 26 Oregon 88-023 Professional 1/2 HP Lawnmower Blade Grinder
- 27 Pros
- 28 Cons
- 29 Oregon 88-025 Blade Grinder Economy, 1/3 HP
- 30 Pros
- 31 Cons
- 32 Buying Guide
- 33 Wrap up
Lawnmowers do fantastic job keeping your lawn neat and nicely trimmed. Having the best lawn mower blade sharpener will aid in you having a nice looking lawn. The blade makes the task of lawn mowing easier, fun, and it leaves clean cuts on the grass; the grass thus recovers quickly.
A dull blade will rip over the grass blades and leave a ragged look. This weakens the grass plants and exposes them to fungal growth and other diseases. Sharpening your lawn mower blades is not a complex task; even a novice can do it remarkably well.
The trickier task is that of finding the right lawn mower blade sharpener. In this post, we’ll be shedding light on the best sharpening blades in the market today, and also how to sharpen your lawn mower like a pro.
Our #1 Recommendation: Best Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener Overall
The All American Sharpener 5000 is a portable and cordless sharpener. It holds each blade securely and is ideal for sharpening standard or mulching blades. You have the option of holding it in a vice or mounting it on a bench. You’ll also like its unique design that includes an attachable arm; this helps hold the grinder safely and securely so you can sharpen in different angles. Once you’ve set up the sharpener, you can sharpen multiple blades in a matter of seconds. So flexible is the grinder that you can even attach it on a truck or trailer.
- Easy to use and set up.
- Can be used for various blade sizes
- Durable; made of aluminum and steel.
- Durable; made of aluminum and steel.Not compatible with hot water
Our #2 Recommendation
The Garden sharp tool is all-around useful. It sharpens single-etched blades on lawn mowers, shears, scythes, and more. To this end, it has a diamond-honed tungsten carbide blade that does not need any oil to work. An interesting feature of this blade sharpener is that you can wash it in a dishwasher. Plus, the full-length finger guard protects your hand from cuts. The garden sharp tool sharpener is designed to sharpen all those single edged, hard to sharpen items in your tool shed, such as lawnmower blades, pruning shears (secateurs), limb loppers, hoes, shovels, scythes.
All can be sharpened to a razor edge quickly and easily with garden sharp. The full-length finger guard protects fingers while the reversible diamond-honed tungsten carbide blade puts your cutting edge in “good as new” condition. GardenSharp will not rust and can be cleaned with soap and water or washed in a dishwasher.
- Uses a diamond-honed tungsten carbide blade
- A simple option for a very reasonable price.
- Made in the USA
- You cannot exert much pressure to sharpen ASblade is very small and the rest is plastic which can separate a bit.
- Needs better placement of the screws or more of them, or stiffer plastic.
More Great Buys
The American Lawn Mower Company SK-1 Sharpening Kit maintains reel blades in top cutting form. With the do it yourself kit provided, you can sharpen your mower blades at home without the need of any external help.
The sharpening kit contains everything you would need to make sharpening mower blades safe and effective; this cuts down on mowing time. This product works great and helps you save much time: you simply remove one wheel – pull off the gear and slide out the pawl and lay them on the table the way they came off. Remove the other wheel and do the same. Place the pawl and gear from the opposite side and reinstall the wheel. Do the same for the other side. This makes the reel turn in reverse when pushing which is what it needs to do when the compound is on to sharpen it. You will also get an application brush, a grinding compound, a back-lapping crank as well as a detailed user guide.
If you need to upgrade from 1705-16 or 1815-18 Push Mowers, Scott’s Reel Mowers, Great States or the American lawnmower, then the American Lawn Mower Company SK-1 Sharpening kit is the tool you need.
- The kit contains all the components necessary.
- It comes at a modest price
- It is the best sharpening kit for push mowers.
- It is not suitable for all mowers.Expensive
With the Yellow Hornet Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener, you will not need to look for someone to sharpen your mower blades as it allows you to sharpen them on your own professionally. The design is simple, with strong, durable materials that ensure it serves you longer.
With this sharpener, experiencing difficulties while sharpening edge angles will be a thing of the past as it can be set up to angles of up to 30 degrees. The grit flap disk makes a huge difference as it ensures you get a perfectly sharpened blade every time. It has no vibration whatsoever and always gives the correct angle.
- The construction is durable.
- Top quality material has been used to develop the device.
- Sharpening edge angles can be adjusted up to 30 degrees.
- Built in the USA.
- It is not capable of sharpening Honda lawn mower blades.
- Quality deteriorates over time
The Mag 9000 is a commercially dedicated lawn mower blade sharpener for use by professional landscapers. It can sharpen conventional lawn mower blades to consistent 30-degree angles. It can also sharpen both right and left-handed lawn mower blades. The Mag 9000 is a low-cost solution to rotary lawn mower blade sharpening. It provides a 60 second per blade sharpening performance in a small package.
Since it was released, it has been embraced by many lawn care professionals. The Mag 9000 sharpener wheels will not burn the blade. It is able to sharpen both right and left-handed blades easily with the single direction motor with ¾ HP and 3450 RPM. Safety tools and guards necessary for the use of the sharpener are also incorporated.
- Made in the US.
- Can sharpen a blade in 60 seconds or less.
- Built with quality to last long.
- High Price
The Corona AC8300 sharpening tool is a 5-inch super carbide file that is suitable for sharpening all kinds of blades for tools in the lawn, garden, landscape agriculture or construction. The solid carbide used in its design is a top quality durable material which guarantees extended lasting use.
It has a perfect functionality while remaining comfortable to hold. It is easy to use as it incorporates non slip rubber grip that is useful in preventing slipping and ensuring you remain safe while sharpening. Taking time to practice the angling of the edge of the tool is recommended. This will prevent ineffective strokes.
It is perfect for those seeking portability as it comes in a small and convenient size that can be easily fitted in a tool bag or pocket.
- It is suitable for all kinds of blades.
- It is lightweight and pocket sized.
- Has a comfortable non-slip grip.
- May take a lot of time sharpening a lawn mower blade.
The SHARPAL 103N All-in-1is a very versatile tool sharpener that can be used for pruners, knives, lawnmower blades, shears, scissors as well as axes and machetes. It includes three sharpening slots preset at optimal sharpening angles, a carbide bar and a ceramic bar for restoring and honing all kinds of blade edges.
This sharpener is also developed with a high-quality premium abrasive material. It has been tested on blades 10,000 times without any breaks on the material. The SHARPAL also boasts of a built-in lanyard hole. It also comes with an oversized handle to enable it to be used with gloves for the safety of the user while sharpening. A large safety hand guard is also featured in the SHARPAL 103N All-in-1; the guard it measures 1-3/8 inches in width for the protection of hands from blades. Versatility and safety make this sharpening tool suitable for use at home.
- Fits on the hand.
- Features a safety hand guard.
- Features a safety hand guard.
It is the first sharpener in the market to enable users to dial in cutting edge angles starting at 25 to 45 degrees in 5-degree increments. The Mag 8000 design also incorporates various worktable blade rests to allow sharpening of different types of blades.The Mag 8000 boasts of being the first to enable the sharpening of both conventional (straight or flat) and mulching (cutting edges that are curved) lawn mower blades.
The Mag 8000 can also easily sharpen both right and left-handed blades with its single direction motor. It incorporates a full one HP continuous duty motor that can withstand lengthy tasks with little to no mechanical strains. The Mag 8000 is also capable of sharpening lawn mower blades in 60 seconds to two minutes, or less.
The Mag 8000 is suitable for sharpening both curved edge mulching blades as well as conventional flat lawn mower blades and is appropriate for service dealers, large lawn care professionals, and landscapers. When using Walker brand mowers, you get to enjoy the open free view when sharpening blades.
- Sharpens both mulched and conventional blades.
- Has a dial-in angle adjustment.
- All tools and safety guards required are included
- High cost.
- Leaks after prolonged use
The Oregon 88-023 Professional 1/2 HP Lawnmower Blade Grinder is a powerful device that is useful for sharpening lawn mower blades. You can adjust the height easily with rotary knobs and adjustable handles. Safety is guaranteed with the Blade Grinder as it comes with an on and off switch as well as a reversing switch which allows sharpening left and right-hand cut blades.
You can also connect it to a grit collector that is sold separately; this ensures that the mess created is contained and kept out of the working area. The Oregon 88-023 features a sealed ½ HP motor, as well as a switch allowing you to grind blades in both directions and an 8 inch red stone that is hardened.
- Contains a reverse motor that is powerful.
- It is suitable for right handed and left handed blades
- It is equipped with an adjustable light.
- Quite costly
The Oregon 88-025 Blade Grinder Economy was developed to encourage users to sharpen their lawn mower blades instead of purchasing new ones. To use the tool, you do not need any special sharpening skills, and even a newbie can set it up easily. It has a lot of power. The Oregon 88-025 costs less than half as much as other sharpeners with similar power.
The Oregon 88-025 features a single direction, 1/3 HP standard duty 1750 RPM motor that is non-reversing to enable sharpening of cutting edges of any length. While many others are limited to 6 inches, it offers the ability to sharpen any blade length. Additionally, it utilizes an 8″ Oregon 88-048 or 88-047 grinding stone.
This is an economy grinder for anyone on a tight budget who still wants a sharpener that will get the job done fast and efficiently.
- The construction is durable.
- It incorporates a safety switch.
- Offers easy adjustment of height.
- Comes equipped with a powerful motor.
- The 1/3 HP motor gets very hot (too hot to touch) under steady use, and this may shorten the lifespan of this unit over time.
- It does not include a lighting feature.
You may forget about the specs and brand names, but always have these tips in mind when buying a garden hose
A few things need to be considered before buying a lawnmower blade sharpener. You want a sharpener that will serve you well, one that’s durable, and basically, one that gives you value for money.
Here’s what you should always consider before buying a lawn mower sharpening;
- Sharpening speed
You need to pay attention to the working speed of the blade sharpener; the ideal speed of the grinder should be related to the edge you are sharpening. Excessive speed is not always the best as it can cause damage to the blade or overheating.
- Material quality
- You also need to ensure the lawn mower sharpener is made of high quality materials as low-quality ones will quickly become unusable.
- It is therefore better to pay more for quality than less for mediocre products.
- The lawn mower sharpener also needs to be safe to use as the friction occurring during sharpening can be dangerous and result in injury.
- A single safety mistake in the choice you make can result in regrettable consequences and costs.
- Usage simplicity
- You need to ensure the lawn blade sharpener is perfect for you in terms of choosing between the options for right-handers, lefts handers or universal.
- It is recommended you choose the best sharpener for your dominant hand to ensure your safety and comfort.
From the review, it is clear that the best lawn mower blade sharpener for home use is the all American sharpener 5000 for Mulching and Standard Mower Blades with M8x1.25 Pin Thread. It is easy to use, it is even possible to place the mounting brackets on trailers or trucks for portable sharpening.
It is also cost effective and takes the guesswork out of sharpening land mower blades, Even inexperienced sharpeners can be sure of an even and consistent grind every time.
The MAG-8000 Universal Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener is suitable for those in the professional lawn mowing industry as well as landscapers. It incorporates various worktable blade rests to enable sharpening of different types of blades as well as dial-in angle adjustment.
It also incorporates a powerful one HP continuous duty motor that can withstand abuse from employees with little to no mechanical feeling and it can sharpen both conventional and mulched lawn mower blades.
Enjoy your shopping, feel free to share your experiences with the above lawn mower sharpeners.