10 Best Chainsaws To Buy In 2019, With over 10 different brands in the market today, it’s understandable that one is likely to get confused, even overwhelmed.
In this article, we took time to review some of the leading brands in the market; brands that have been tried, tested, and found to be extremely good. And mind you, we didn’t just pick the brands simply because they are the most readily available in the market, are affordable, or such. Instead, we considered various factors like the noise, smoke emissions, durability, availability of spare parts, and so on so forth. You can thus be sure that any brand that has found its way to this list of the best chainsaws in 2018 clearly deserves to be here.
10 Best Chainsaws in 2019 – Top 10 Picks
Remington RM1645 Versa
Remington RM1425 Limb
Saw Joe SWJ701E
Blue Max 7953
Blue Max 7954
Our Best Chainsaws Pick – Remington RM1645 (16”) [12- Amp]
The Remington RM1645 came at the top of the list, and for a good reason; it has a reputation for being able to cut even the toughest, strongest wood with ease. It’s ideal for large scale timber splitting as it is fast and powerful.
1. Electric Motor; Electric motors are an alternative to the traditional, noisier and messier gas. Electric motors are more silent and you just need to connect them to a power source; by the time you’re done, the stench of oil and smoke combined won’t linger over you, as is often the case with the more old school chainsaws.
2. Low Kickback Bar and Chain; This Remington RM1645 is also big and very suitable for cutting medium and small logs. This effectiveness means that you’ll have lesser kickbacks and wood breakage.
3. Steel bucking Teeth; another crucial advantage is that it is uniquely configured with steel bucking teeth. This makes it easy for the saw to grip wood firmly for easier cutting and leverage.
4. Full Wrap Around Hand Guard; this hand guard is a special feature that protects the wood from breaking or bending while cutting in all angles
1. Power connections; for all its brilliance and excellence, the Remington RM1645 has one major disadvantage. You have to be near a power source in order to power it, and this may be quite a challenge to loggers working in remote areas. You can however opt for some power backup to get you going.
2. Warrant; another notable disadvantage of this one of the best chainsaw that may be a cause for concern is the fact that it doesn’t come with a warranty! It’s thus difficult to tell the exact period of time that it should be used without breaking down. It also makes it difficult for one to claim compensation from the manufacturer in case of a break down.
The Remington RM1645 is a strong, clean and is ideal for domestic and industrial use. The fact that it doesn’t make much noise makes it very ideal for home use where you don’t wish to alert neighbours on what you’re doing within your compound. With proper maintenance, it can serve you for several years before you ever think of getting it repaired or fixed.
Remington RM1425 Limb- N-Trim (14”) [8- Amp]
Second on the list is another brand in the Remington family known as the Remington RM1425. This one is also a best chainsaw, which translates to less noise and pollution. It’s also easy to use and one doesn’t have to have prior experience while using it.
1. Handy and easy to use; the Remington RM1425 Limb- N-Trim (14”) is lightweight, weighing just a few pounds. This has made it ideal for light trimming and other quick tasks that don’t require a heavy chainsaw. Seniors and the elderly looking to keep their compounds neat without straining their bodies, will love this brand; it feels light and comfy while held in the hand.
2. 8 Amp Electric motor; the 8 Amp electric motor is powerful but silent, helping the it slice through tough wood with amazing ease. As long as you have a power source to plug it, the Remington RM1425 never disappoints.
3. Low kickback bar and chain; the Remington RM1425 also has a low kickback bar and chain that enables it to trim branches and shrubs more easily and effectively.
4. Push button oiler; you’ll also be pleased to note that it has a special push button that makes it possible for the bar and chain to run smoothly. This makes it worth of being in the list of best chainsaws of 2018.
5. External chain tensioning; it’s also incorporated with a special chain tensioning that allows it to adjust depending on the toughness of the wood, or angle it’s being held.
1. Adjustments; although the external chain tensioning is a commendable feature in the Remington RM1425, we observed that this may be tricky for novices and newbies; you’ll need a bit of experience in order to enjoy this feature.
2. Damages; another disadvantage that we noted was the fact that If the above adjustments are not done carefully, you’re likely to end up with much damage to the timber you’re slicing.
3. Safety issues; Proper storage is also required for this chainsaw to avoid accidents and operators should be taken through some training to ensure they know how to operate the machine.
The Remington RM1425 Limb- N-Trim (14”) 8- Amp Electric chainsaw has unique features that make it more effective; it can comfortably meet both domestic and industrial needs.
Powerful Saw Joe (18”) [14-Amp]
Just like the name suggests, this monster is strong and powerful; it has some distinct features that make it stand out from most of the best chainsaws that you’ve come across..
1. Powerful 14 Amp Electric motor; in a market dominated by electric chainsaws with 8 Amp electric motors, this one comes with an incredible motor of 14 AMPS. This means more power, and you are able to fill up a pickup truck with timber or firewood within an hour! We were also impressed by the fact that this motor starts instantly, dilly-dallying or funny noises as is the case with some products . Still, there is a safety button or switch whose primary role is to prevent accidental startups. Thus the powerful motor, the fact that it starts instantly, and has advanced safety features; these incredible features clearly place Powerful Saw Joe in a class of its own.
2. Has an automatic oiler; This automation keeps the bar and the chain fully lubricated while in use, thus allowing for longer cutting periods.
3. Ergonomic handle; the ergonomic handle feels comfy when held and helps reduce fatigue when working for long hours. It also has a hand guard with kick back brakes.
4. 18- Inch Oregon Bar and chain; This one is specially made in a way that no additional tools are required to make adjustments to the chain.
1. Slightly expensive; some users may find this one relatively costly, costing you anything from $ 80 or slightly below
2. Power consumption; we were also quick to note that its power consumption was higher compared to other ones in the list of best chainsaws as we tried; all thanks to the many special features that are enabled.
3. Safety concerns; if this machine is not well handled and the security features utilized, accidents could occur.
The Powerful Saw Joe (18”) 14-Amp Electric chainsaw is an ideal pick for strenuous and prolonged cutting assignments. You are able to do much within a short duration, plus it has added features to enhance safety and effectiveness. It’s very ideal for large scale industrial purposes.
Green works (16”) [12- Amp]
This is another impressive machine with superb features; you’ll be amused by its ability to perform different tasks effectively. The fact that you are able to easily adjust the chain means that you can perform extra tasks with it.
1. 12 Amp, 3HP 600 RPM Motor; This one is sufficiently powered to cut large and medium branches with incredible ease. No need to struggle or strain to slice on the timber grain; it slices through like a hot knife on butter.
2. 16” Bar Length; the Green works (16”) 12- Amp Electric chainsaw uses 3/8”, 0.5” gauge Oregon saw.
3. Automatic chain oiler; it also has an automatic chain oiler that keeps the bar and the chain fully lubricated while at work; this keeps them running for longer time. It also has a clear window that allows you to see when the oil needs to be replenished.
4. Easy adjust chain tension system; you will find it very easy to adjust the chain system by simply turning a bolt.
5. Warranty; the manufacturer demonstrates their confidence in this product by giving it an incredible warranty of 4 years! Very few brands are willing to demonstrate this kind of trust in their brands, which tells you that indeed the Green works (16”) 12- Amp is one of the best you can ever get.
6. Carbon prints; it also comes with a Zero carbon footprint.
7. Bar scabbard included; this special feature protects the chain and the bar from damage while working.
1. One of the few notable cons we noted with this one is that you cannot add oil before it reaches the minimum level; doing so may easily provoke a breakdown.
2. It’s also slightly expensive for anyone looking to acquire the best chainsaw on a tight budget.
Clearly, the Green works (16”) 12- Amp Electric chain meets user expectations, it’s durable; it’s a good multipurpose chainsaw that is as effective for home use as it would for industrial purposes!
Green works (18”) 14.5 Amp Electric Chainsaw
This is an upgraded version that promises you extremely fast cutting time; it is powerful enough to cut through large branches and medium trees. All you need to do is plug it in start working. It is designed in a way that ensures that gas and oil do not mix.
1. Automatic chain oiler; this provision ensures that the chain and bar are automatically lubricated while the machine is at work.
2. Clear window; This is a uniquely designed window that allows you to see when oil in the tank needs to be filled up again.
3. Easy adjust chain system; it also has a chain adjust system feature. All you need to do is turn a bolt and the chain is altered as per your preferences.
4. 4-year factory warranty; this chainsaw has a zero carbon footprint and a double industry standard warranty.
5. A bar scabbard incorporated; this feature is specially made to protect the chain and bar from damage while working.
6. 18 Bar length; the Green works (18”) 14.5 Amp uses 3/8” pitch .050” gauge Oregon chain saw chain. This is an extremely strong and durable chain.
1. You’ll need to pay close attention to the automatic chain oiler to ensure that the chain and bar are lubricated at all time.
2. The clear window also has to be closely monitored as well. This will ensure that the oil tank does not run dry.
3. The automatic chain oiler may fail to lubricate the chain and the bar leading to chain breakage.
Whether you want this chainsaw for domestic or industrial use, it will serve the purpose you intend to use it for. It’s a brand that hardly breaks down or calls for constant repairs; it’ll serve you loyally for several years. Proper servicing of chainsaw and sharpening of blades by using a good chainsaw chain sharpener can add few more years to it’s product life.
Blue Max (14”) [8 Amp]
Flexibility and versatility; these are the two things that should come to your mind when you think of the Blue Max (14”) 8 Amp Electric chainsaw or any other best chainsaw . We couldn’t find one that rivalled this when it came to cutting over small shrubs in tight areas. With a chain speed of about 19 feet per second, it is an extremely fast and effective machine.
1. Handy used for Trimming and Tight Spaces; it has a 14″ bar and thin profile specially crafted to fit where gas saws cannot. This makes it more efficient and effective.
2. 8” Amp Electric Motor; this is incorporated to ensure that the chains run on an incredible speed of 19.7feet every second.
3. Mechanical brakes; The brakes ensure user safety by stopping the chain’s rotation in less than a second.
4. Automatic chain lubrication; Chain lubrication will ensure that the chain and bar are working efficiently, while the oil level window is used for maintenance purposes. It also has 100ml chain oil included and a lock off button that ensures user safety.
5. Blade cover installed; this feature is installed to protect the chain and the surrounding areas during transportation.
6. UL certified power cord and plug; the power cord and plug are used in common household outlets. This makes it more convenient and easy to use for both domestic and industrial use.
1. If you have never used the Blue Max (14”) 8 Amp before, then you’re likely to find it a bit complicated to use. You’ll thus have to rely heavily on the user manual on how to use and troubleshoot common hitches.
2. Although we personally didn’t experience it, we saw reviews of users who faulted the automatic lubrication feature; you’ll be advised to constantly check the oil levels rather than relying on the so called automatic self lubricating system.
Our very own verdict was that the Blue Max (14”) 8 Amp Electric Chainsaw is a serious machine; it has numerous special features and is fun to work with. It’s very ideal for home use and the good thing is that you don’t have to dig deep into your pocket to acquire it. Definitely worth your money.
Blue max (16”) [13- Amp]
The Blue max (16”) 13- Amp electric chainsaw is predominantly used for domestic purposes. It is not fast enough or sturdily built to withstand the long hours needed in an industrial environment.
1. Versatile and powerful ; one of the best chainsaw for small home projects; it is designed to handle a little less workload
2. 13 Amp electric motor; The Blue max (16”) 13- Amp electric also has a powerful electric motor that moves the chain at 37.7 feet every second.
3. Automatic chain lubrication; It also comes with 100ml of chain oil included. This ensures continuous lubrication of the chain and bar at all time when the machine is in use. There’s also an oil level window for easier monitoring and maintenance.
4. SDS chain drive system; this machine has a chain system that is easier to adjust and a mechanical break that stops the chain in under 0.1 seconds.
5. Blade cover included; This cover is specially made to protect the chain during transportation.
6. UL certified power cord and plug; the power cord and plug are specially designed to work with common household power outlets.
1. Apart from the fact that this chainsaw is extremely delicate and needs to be handled with care especially during transportation; there wasn’t much to discredit it for.
2. You’ll just need to be extra careful as the chain may easily get damaged when you’re on the move, or when adjusting it.
The Blue max (16”) 13- Amp electric is a loyal and effective machine that will perform all your household tasks satisfactorily. We’d greatly recommend it for anyone looking for a chainsaw that’s inexpensive but capable of performing all their domestic tasks.
Earth Wise (16”) [12- Amp]
This is a primarily best chainsaw for garden and household use; it’s light, the chain rotates super fast, but it can’t withstand the long hours and tough wood in an industrial environment.
1. Perfect for household use; In home this one can be used to perform various tasks like trimming branches and small trees. It can also be used to cut small logs to smaller bits for your fireplace.
2. 12 Amp electric motor; this chainsaw uses a 14- gauge outdoor rated extension cord; which limits it to handling small tasks.
3. 16 inch Oregon chain and bar; this feature prevents kick back and has plastic blade cover that protects the blade from damage during storage and transportation.
4. Automatic bar and chain oiling; The automatic oiling ensures that the cutting is smooth to the end.
5. Tool-less chain tensioning; this feature protects the chain from damages caused by simple twist adjustments.
6. Rubber over moulded handles; the rubber makes the machine easy for the user to grip with gloves on. It also has a double insulated power cord that makes it safer to use. A handy cord retention hook that keeps things tidy is also configured.
1. Like we mentioned at the beginning, this one is the best chainsaw for home use; you’d thus have to search elsewhere if you’re looking for a machine to use for industrial purposes.
It is light, it’s fun to use, and it never disappoints; that’s the Earth-wise (16”) 12- Amp electric chain saw. You’ll enjoy the perfect grip that the rubber on the handle offers; you can hold it all day without feeling any fatigue or numbing of your fingers.
Green Works (14”) [9 Amp]
The Green Works 9 Amp Corded electric chain saw is an extremely effective machine that’s famed for its low energy consumption. It takes much lesser time to start and is easier to operate even for someone holding it for the first time.
1. 9-Amp 2HP Electric Motor; This chainsaw is specially designed to start within seconds, a trait that contributes towards energy saving. It is also powerful and strong enough to trim medium and large branches and small trees as well.
2. 14″ Inch Bar Length; this bar length makes cleaning it easy and less time-consuming. It also uses 3/8” pitch 0.050 gauge Oregon chain saw chain.
3. Easy to adjust Chain Tensioning System; this ease of chain adjustment allows you to perform any task with flexibility and versatility.
4. Automatic Chain Oiler; this trait ensures lubrication to both the bar and the chain, thus making it run smoothly without any undesired disruptions.
5. Wrap around Handle; the unique feature allows the chainsaw to perform multiple cutting from different angles.
1. Like all electric machines, you’ll be doomed if and when lights go off; this would mean postponing all work until power is back.
The chain is also exposed and can cause injuries if one is careless.
All said and done, we were extremely impressed by the Earth-wise (16”) 12- Amp electric chain saw’s versatility, in terms of being able to cut from different angles and positions. Clearly, it is a great machine for industrial use; it’s powerful and sturdily built to withstand long hours of cutting tough wood.
Remington (18”) Amp Electric Tool-Less Best Chainsaw
Last but not least, we felt that the Remington (18”) Amp electric tool less chain saw should close our list of the top 10 chainsaws to look out for in 2018. It’s clean and less noisy; all you need is a power source and you’re good to go!
1. It has a powerful 12 Amp, 4 Hp Electric Motor
2. Revolutionary Lift and Dial Chain Adjustment; With this machine, no tools are needed and for proper tensioning, just lift the cover and turn the dial.
3. It also comes with an 18″ Low Kickback Bar and Chain
4. Large Steel Bucking Teeth; these teeth grip wood tightly for easy and proper cutting thus preventing any damage or breakage.
5. Full Wrap Around Hand Guard; this feature protects all angles of the wood while cutting.
6. Automatic Oiler; this ensures constant lubrication of the chain and the bar while the machine is working.
7. Protective Scabbard Included; very vital when you’re transporting the chainsaw.
1. Cost; this chainsaw may be an excellent, almost perfect pick for home and industrial use, but it’s slightly expensive compared to other common brands. You’re thus advised to compare and check the different sellers on the internet to determine the fairest price offers before buying.
The Remington (18”) Amp electric tool less chain saw is suitable for industrial use. It does not use oil thus no grease or dirt. It also does not require tools for tensioning; this makes it ideal for use even by a person with little or no experience with chainsaws. In terms of effectiveness and reliability, this one outdoes most of the popular brands used for industrial purposes.
Out of the above 10 brands, you can see that each has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day, you’ll need to know what you want in the best chainsaws, as well as the budget at hand. Also, we advise you to try and research a bit more on the internet in order to compare the price offers; different retailers will quote different prices. Feel like there’s anything we have left out? We always welcome your feedback and suggestions including of any brand you feel we ought to have included in our list.