Lately, Electric Shavers have become a man’s go-to grooming tool, for how they have made shaving a whole lot easier and quicker. If you’re done with the lather-making act and want shaving on the fly, electric shavers are here to help.
You might hit a store, buying one for yourself, or seeking a replacement for the old one. This is when you should read this guide.
We’ve worked during the week to experiment with a couple of best electric shavers in the market and come out with details you should definitely know.
Read our review to pick the best one for yourself!
After reading this, you should be able to clearly distinguish what works for you, and what wouldn’t. A quick reminder though
1. Electric shavers are basically categorized into two, and in this article, you’ll come across terms like rotary shavers, or foil shavers.
2. Basically rotary shavers are all about a rotating, circular movement when shaving. These shavers have blades arranged in a triangular pattern. They are common in brands used for close shaving of the cheeks and head; they are more thorough and ideal for a smooth shave.
3. Foil shavers on the other hand are different in that they rely on knives that are hidden beneath a triangular metallic foil. These are deemed to be more advanced, as the foil helps raise up flat lying hairs on the skin when shaving. Often, foil shavers are more effective when used in long, straight movements.
Best Electric Shavers 2017
Braun Series 9 9095CC
Braun Series 7 790CC
Philips SensoTouch 3D
Panasonic Arc 5
Panasonic Arc 4
Philips Norelco AT830
Wahl Professional 8061
Panasonic Arc 3
Best Electric Razor 2017 – Braun Series 9 9095CC
Braun is a popular German brand that has distinguished itself over the years for making some of the best cordless shavers. The fact that Braun shavers are one of the few that shave in straight lines (most shave in circles) is an indicator of just how effective these machines are.
Shaving in straight lines and against the grain is recommended as a remedy to help reduce lacerations, or the unsightly pimples known medically as Pseudofollicalitis Barbae; common under the chin, back of the head, or even on the cheeks for some people after shaving. The Braun Series 9 9095CC deserved a top spot in our list for several reasons. Most importantly, it offers both dry and wet shaving capabilities. This combined with its stylish and attractive appearance means it’s a shaver you can easily move around with.
1. It has wet and dry shaving capabilities: You are assured of a smooth and fast dry shave.
2. Stylish and attractive design; this shaver also comes in a stylish and unique design. It’s sleek, it’s attractive, and to crown it all, it has an LCD indicator (blue in color). The feel and grip are just so right; can never slip of fall in the sink or floor when held with soapy hands.
3. No Discomfort: it offers pure comfort and no razor burns after use.
1. High buzzing sound; sure, the buzzing is slightly higher compared to other shavers of its generation.
2. Slightly expensive; again, the Braun Series 9 9095CC is one of the few that go for the $ 400 plus mark.
Best Razor under $200 – Braun Series 7 790CC
Second on our list is another Braun series, only that this is a different series. In fact, most websites will list the Braun Series 7 790CC at the top of the best electric razor reviews list. But well, we decided to give it a second place for the simple fact that it lacks dry and wet shaving capabilities. Otherwise, save for that downside, this is one shaver we’d recommend anytime, any day. It has 3 trimmers that offer a very close and smooth shave; you are sure that for fewer strokes, the shaver is able to cover more facial hair. Another amazing thing we found out with this shaver is that you can personalize it into 3 modes, depending on your skin type; Normal, Extensive, Extra sensitive. And finally, you’re also able to customize the trimmers when shaving your mustache, beards, or the sideburns. Trust the Germans to give it to you technologically, exactly as it suits you.
1. It’s cordless and has a solid feel, it’s affordable, and also budget friendly.
2. Like mentioned, it has personalization modes; this is good news for people with sensitive skin since they’ll just need to adjust the shaver to what suits them.
3. It has an automatic cleaning mechanism that’s capable of killing 99% of any germs lingering.
1. Lacks dry and wet shaving capabilities.
2. Higher Noise levels: beauty has been said to be in the eyes of the beholder and on the same breath, let me add that a shaver’s noise levels will depend on the user. That said, from comparing our Series 7-790cc with other shavers, we can gladly attest to its slightly high noise levels. Even after going through a lot of expert customer reviews, you’ll notice that most users point out the noise levels as their major concern.
3. Another thing worth noting is that the Braun 7 shaver doesn’t work very well with shaving gel and cream.
Best Modern Electric Razor- Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D
Philips electric shavers are the leaders when it comes to rotary shaving, whereby you take the shaver in slow circular motions, like you would when applying a lotion on your face. Rotary shaving is common in shaving the face and cheeks, as it smoothens thoroughly without irritating the skin. The Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D is a leader in this category. This brand has 3 independent foils, each with rotating blades; each foil can be tilted upward or downward, so as to reach all contours of your face or head when shaving. The 3D used in its name, is used in reference to the ability of the 3 foils and blades to be independently tilted or spun.
1. It’s affordable: The Norelco 8800 series is not among the most expensive shavers and rightly so, for it has no automatic cleaning system.
2. You Can Save Power: thanks to the power save mode in this shaver, you can charge your Norelco shaver and shave for a full hour before needing a recharge. By using the auto travel lock in this shaver, you are assured of a smooth travel. Most Philip shavers (Norelco series 8100 and 8000) lack the, latter function, making them switch on while in the bag pack; and the result is no charge, hence no shaving when you arrive at your destination.
3. Complete Numeric Display: aside from the common LCD feature found in Philips 8100 and 8000 series, the Norelco 8800 1290x/46 has an additional numeric display that’s easy to read for new users.
4. Longer Shave Time: When compared to other shavers, this model has a shaving capability of 60 minutes (most boast of a 50 minute long duration).
5. Durable: the Norelco 8800 shaver will serve you for up to 2 years if only with proper maintenance. You just need to ensure that you replace the blades every year. The Battery life on the other hand can last you many years as long as you avoid frequent small charges and long-time shaving.
1. For all its affordability and functionality, the Norelco 8800 is poorly built; it has plastic and rubber everywhere.
2. Secondly, the battery is not replaceable, while spare parts are hard to find (seems this is a common trait with all Phillips brands). This means that if the battery were to develop a problem, you’d have to throw away or do away with this shaver, no matter how new or effective you find it.
Best Electric Shaver For Head – Panasonic Arc 5
When it comes to close shaving, the Panasonic Arc 5 is your best bet. This is especially so for people with long and thick beards that call for a more robust shaver. The Arc 5 has 5 blades and a LED display to show you among other things, the battery life. But is that all, what else makes the Arc 5 get a top spot on our list? Well, technology. Panasonic is a Japanese brand, and the technical prowess of the Arc is quite evident. Most shavers have a problem reaching flat lying hair, with some brands attempting to cushion their blades with a foil in order to try and straighten such hair. But the Panasonic has tacked this cleverly, what with what’s known as a One-lift Tech Trimmer. This captures all hairs lying flat and straightens it for the blades to trim; this technology is also able to trim ingrown hairs.
1. It has wet and dry shaving capabilities.
2. It’s the best electric razor in the market for close shaving. Especially ideal for tough or heavy beards.
3. It has a pivoting head, not to forget the 5 trimmers that give it its name, Arc 5. With the 5 blades, you can be sure that even hair growing in different directions will be trimmed with one movement.
1. Comfort is the major challenge with this shaver. If you have sensitive skin, then the extensiveness with which this shaver does its work may leave you itchy.
2. Again, the head of the shaver is somewhat bulky, not just in appearance but also when shaving. You’ll feel the awkwardness of a bulky head when you try to stick the shaver under the neck to reach the tiniest hairs along the contours.
Best Durable Electric Razor – Panasonic Arc 4
The Arc 4 closes the list of top 5 electric shavers. It’s so similar to the Arc 5, only that this has 4 blades. Really, there isn’t much to add to this shaver, it’s just a slightly inferior version of the Arc 5; lesser battery life, lesser blades, and so on so forth.
1. The main advantage of this shaver has to do with its durability and sharpness of blades; this makes it ideal for sensitive skins that don’t require much movement on same area.
2. It’s also very affordable, one of the best close shaving machines on a tight budget.
3. Thirdly, it includes LED display panel that shows the battery life even as you shave.
4. The Arc 5 is also noticeably more stylish in its make, and has a good feel or grip when shaving. It’s less bulky than its Arc 5 competitor.
1. The Panasonic Arc 4 may be a good shaver but it doesn’t have a cleaning or charging dock. The absence of these two is what has made it so budget friendly.
Best Affordable Shaver – Philips Norelco AT830
Philips Norelco AT830 has been there since 2012 and still remains a popular pick for many. It is budget friendly, it’s smooth and very comfortable when shaving, plus we realized that it’s quieter than most brands (including those that cost more). The AT830 also has dry and wet shave capabilities, which is a huge plus. These features, plus the fact that it’s more comfortable makes this shaver a popular preference for many. Add the long battery life and you’ll realize why this brand merits a spot as number 6.
1. The motor is one of the best ever, making the shaver very quiet when shaving.
2. It has wet and dry shave capabilities, as well as duo precision.
3. Easy to clean, affordable, and a long battery life (50 minutes).
4. Very comfortable and thus ideal for sensitive skin.
1. The pivoting head isn’t as functional as one would expect. It can thus get tricky when you’re trying to target specific contours on your neck or face when shaving.
2. It has a basic, almost rudimentary look; the manufacturer did very little if anything, to enhance its aesthetic appeal.
Best Shaver for Sensitive Skin – Braun CoolTec
Another Braun Series, and you can always count on the Germans to innovate and inject creativity in their brands. The Braun CoolTec is worth a spot in the top 10, for the simple fact that it incorporates TEC technology. TEC, or thermal electric cooling, helps cool the skin when shaving, resulting in a pleasant and soothing feel on your skin. This is good news to men with sensitive skin since a heated machine is the surest recipe for a red face.
1. It’s 100% waterproof, meaning that you can rinse in running water without any worry.
2. It has exceptional cooling technology that makes it a great bargain for folks with sensitive skin.
3. Wet and dry shaving capabilities.
4. Great look, stylish design
1. The one major issue with this shaver is that the battery life is short. This is to be understood since the TEC technology consumes much power. The good news though is that you can turn off this cooling feature if you wish to have the battery do more minutes.
Best Battery Life – Wahl Professional 8061
Wahl is an American brand, very popular in most barbershops. But why didn’t we give it spot at the top? American brands are also deemed superior, almost next to German products, if not better. Yet, we ranked the 8061 as number 8? Well, Wahl 8061 is notorious for two things; too much noise and vibrations plus overheating very fast. The overheating part is especially important, since it doesn’t just give you a red face, it also leaves your skin feeling irritated. In terms of providing a smooth shave, the 8061 gets much credit. The battery life is also impressive, making it very ideal for users who’re on the move.
1. Hypoallergenic foil heads, making it ideal for sensitive skin.
2. It is budget friendly, durable, and the battery life is impressive.
3. Nice design, and easy to clean
1. You’ll be disappointed to note that this shaver heats up within a few minutes.
2. It’s also noisy and with high, uncomfortable vibrations.
3. It doesn’t have dry and wet shave capabilities.
Best Electric Razor for Men – Panasonic Arc 3
We mentioned the Panasonic Arc 5, Arc 4, and now we have the Arc 3! Extremely affordable (under $ 70), capable of providing a close shave, and with dry/wet shave capabilities, this is one shaver that you can never go wrong with; at least if you’re on a tight budget and are looking for a good shaver to do with. You’re always assured of a smooth and close shave, and the blades are hypoallergenic.
1. The hypoallergenic blades will come in handy for any sensitive skin during shaving.
2. Extremely low priced, but with great features like LCD display, and dry/wet shave capabilities.
1. This Panasonic Arc 3 doesn’t have a cleaning or charging dock. You’ll thus have to consider cleaning the shaver manually.
2. The vibrations are also somewhat loud.
Best Razor Under $50 – Remington F5-5800
Remington are pioneers, they were among the first to come up with cordless shavers that are rechargeable. In a way, the F5-5800 is no different from the traditional non-electric shavers that were basic and simple; with this brand, you can easily dismantle the head and clean it manually. That’s not all; for a shaver that sells for under $ 50, it’s worth mentioning that the F5-5800 is extremely comfortable, and irritation free. That’s one of the most commendable features we established about this brand despite ranking it last.
1. This is one smooth and comfortable shaver, even when compared to more expensive brands in this list.
2. It’s affordable (it will cost you under $30)
3. Has pivot head, making it very effective when trimming and shaving on contours
1. Too much cheap plastic used in the shaver’s body, and too much noise when shaving. One may argue that the plastic make makes them light and comfy when holding; but they are equally brittle and won’t survive a fall on a hard surface like a bathroom floor.
2. Secondly, you’ll need to brace yourself for constant replacements of the blades (after almost every 2-3 months).
Quick Buying guide
Having mentioned the 10 top rated electric shavers, it would be incomplete if I left you hanging and without a summary of all we mentioned.
Clearly, you’ve seen that in our reviews, we paid much attention to the user experience, comfort, as well the functionality of the shaver (things like battery life, water resistance, noise of the motor, etc).
At the end of the day, you’ll need to carefully weigh the list above before picking a shaver of your choice.
1. What is your greatest driving force when making a choice, are you constantly on the move? You’d thus need a shaver with a long battery life.
2. Or is it the sensitivity of your skin that’s the greatest consideration?
3. Or you’re looking for a shaver with the least noise and vibrations?
Whatever the case, you’ll need to consider several factors, and buy the best electric shaver you feel comes closest to your specifications. No one shaver will meet all your specifications, without having a downside to it.
So, all the best! Feel free to share your experiences with us, or leave a comment regarding a brand or point you feel we left out.